Gracey from Fashion for Giants wrote me last week asking about statement necklaces. You all know I LOVE a statement necklace, so I am happy to create a post demystifying statement necklaces.
While they might not seem like a wardrobe basic, statement necklaces are a wardrobe basic. They add some visual interest to a t-shirt and jeans look or help a cocktail dress become a showstopper. Every woman should have a statement necklace and a cocktail ring in her jewelry arsenal. So, if you don’t own one, how do you choose? Here are few tips to help you pick out your own statement necklace.
1. When trying something out of your comfort zone for the first time, I always recommend going a bit cheaper. If you realize you wear it all the time, then it is worth the upgrade.
2. Out of all my statement necklaces, I gravitate towards my blue ones and my bronze one the most. They play well with the majority of my clothes and aren’t too flashy, making them perfect for everyday wear. What colors will go well with your wardrobe?
3. Proportion is key here. I have broader shoulders and am a bit taller, so I can wear a large statement necklace. If you are petite, make sure you pick a smaller statement necklace. Remember, it only needs to be a statement on you.
4. Keep the earrings simple. I either wear studs or no earrings at all.
5. Keep the rest of your outfit simple. If I am looking to make a really bold statement, I will pair my necklace with a bold outfit, but many times you will see me using my statement necklace to dress up a casual outfit.
6. You can never go wrong with pearls. If you can find a statement necklace with pearls, I promise you will get a lot of use out it. It is classic and goes with everything.
Still can’t decide? Here are some of my picks:
This is a simple and cheap way to give statement necklaces a try.
This black J Crew necklace is super easy to wear. I broke my black statement necklace and I always wish I had one to wear with everything from t-shirts to stripes to dresses.
I love this Stella and Dot pearl necklace. It is classic and works well with t-shirts and dresses.
Want a bold statement necklace? Then this J Crew one is for you!
I ordered this one this past weekend. I think it would be the perfect way to add some sparkle to a t-shirt.
This one is pricey, but worth it. It plays well with black, navy, camel, white, brown, and gold.
If you are petite, this necklace is perfect for you.
So, tell me. Do you have a statement necklace?